Tuesday, March 15, 2011

A recent idea...

I know this idea has been beaten to death in the past, and no, it was not my original idea to begin with. Thank you very much. It is, however, something I've added to my photography portfolio recently. Not only am I trying to provoke a mood within the viewer of my images by simply showing them the image, but I am also trying to convey to them the thoughts I may have had at the time I tripped the shutter on the camera. In an effort to spark the viewer's mind to think while their eyes are still wandering around the image, I thought I might try adding quotes from some of nature's greatest commentators.

I'm sure that you have seen this before. The ever popular confidence building posters that adorn corporate offices around the globe. With clever words like Persistence, Patience, Gratitude, Adversity, Teamwork and Failure. Surf out to www.allposters.com and do a search on the word "motivational". The resulting images will jog your memory in case you're still not clear on what I'm talking about. I am not in any way criticizing these works of art, as I honestly like most of them. But I don't own any at this time, and probably will never hang one in my house. Unless, of course it is one of mine.

I found one particular piece that I liked and looked "into" it. After awhile the thought came to me that I had just spent several moments looking at the whole piece of art. Several moments studying the photograph, then several moments reading the storyline, then again several more moments looking at the image, again. Then I sat there for a minute gazing at the whole piece as one, while my mind was putting the entire story together.

The concept sank in deep. Me, as the viewer, could not look away until I comprehended everything, read all the wording, and then finally "saw" and felt the mood of the image. For a brief second in time I was removed from the world around me, and projected into another place and time. It was cool and I looked at another similar piece of work. Then another and another.

What a simple idea. I would never duplicate these works completely, nor is that my style. I can, however, reuse the quotations at my leisure. And adapt them to my photographs, or vice versa.

I once read this quote from a world renowned photographer but I can't seem to remember his famous name. He said "I don't like to take pictures that answer a question. I'd rather make images that ask a question."

In my efforts to appease the world of critique out there, my images are always intended to make the viewer not just look. But to Think, and then to see.




Photography and text by T. Michael Smith (Todd Smith for those of you who may know me)
©Earthshine Studios

No comments:

Post a Comment