Thursday, March 17, 2011

Who's taking all these photos?

Maybe I'm the only one who sees what I'm looking at. Or looking for, when I admire a photographic image. And let me tell you, I can admire and get lost in most any published image. From a postage stamp to a magazine article to a coffee table book. I am easily transported into most any scene.

And then there's this internet thing. If my search engine takes me to a link that has no photos, it's not long that I'll be hanging around at that page. There are far too many cool and fun sites out there to find my answers at, and most of them are loaded with photographs to gaze upon.

What if the resulting links from that search would send me to a website that could explain my answers using photographs only. And maybe a small caption. I'd probably be alright with that. 

In the unlimited world of photography the opportunities for success seem to be so many. Just how many camera shooters are actually employed full time taking the pictures we see everyday?

By what means does one go about being the photographer who actually took the photo printed in that magazine spread, advertisement or website?

Society heavily demands that a visual representation accompany the storyline to get most points across.

If the newspaper didn't have photos, I wonder how the population of "readers" would be affected.

In my opinion again, taking pictures with a camera is by far the most accessible way for someone "normal" to be creative. Go ahead and let them all stake their claim at being the self proclaimed master photographer that the world has been waiting for.

However, the wise man will not make this same mistake. For we all must be very careful. Especially if we choose to boast about our incredible "behind-the-lens" talent.
 

Sometimes what we think is our greatest achievement in art, is only seen that way by the one who created it.



Photography and text by T. Michael Smith (Todd Smith for those of you who may know me)
©Earthshine Studios




.

No comments:

Post a Comment